Power BI gives the Excel business user the ability to create and automate interactive analytics in the Microsoft cloud without having to be a programmer. This course will start with a reporting example in Excel, then transition into Power BI where you will learn the foundations of data modeling and publish a hands-on Power BI report from scratch.
If you want to take your Excel analytical skills to the next level and provide on-demand insights for your business users, Power BI is for you!
What you will learn
- Foundations of data modeling in Power BI
- How to collect and transform raw data in Power Query
- Core concepts of evaluation context
- How to develop your data model using common DAX measures
- How to publish and automate report refresh in the cloud
- How to combine your shared report with a data story
Who should attend
Working professionals, engineers, managers with intermediate knowledge of Excel formulas and pivot tables or data professionals who have a need to sharpen their skills relative to business analytics.
A typical course covers the following:
- Intro session to Power BI, cohort introductions and icebreakers
- Preparing data and modeling best practices
- Evaluation context and Data Analysis eXpressions (DAX)
- Writing CALCULATE and SUMX functions (DAX)
- Comparing different time periods (DAX)
- Visual types and hands-on report design
- Adding user driven report features
- Capstone presentations / Using Power BI online
Capstone projects are chosen by you at the beginning of the program (in alignment with the needs of your employer). Combination of the in-class training and the application of course concepts to a real-world capstone project will help increase your knowledge depth.
Applied learning model
- You will receive a combination of lecture and live hands-on training in Power Query and Power BI. At the end of the course, you will have the skills to create a basic reporting solution that will be presented as a capstone project and help accelerate and increase your knowledge depth
- Receive a 30-minute one-on-one review of your data model/reporting project with the instructor
- Present your project to a small group of peers during final class
- Course slides will be provided as PDF
- Recommended books “Supercharge Power BI” by Matt Allington (not included with registration)
- All required software is available for download for free with a valid student or work subscription to Microsoft O365
Mark Walter is an accounting and business intelligence professional who is passionate about providing business with data insights. A long-time Excel user, Mark brought Power Pivot in Excel (2013), and later Power BI (2015) to his position at Industrial Finishes and Systems, Inc.
Mark has used Power BI daily to improve financial reporting, inventory tracking and marketing insights.
Mark is an Oregon-certified public accountant and holds a finance degree from Western Washington University.
The instructional fee is $1,195. There are limited number of seats available for employees of small businesses with fewer than 150 employees ($598), non-profits and educational institutions ($299), and for current WSU students ($120) and employees ($299). All instructional fees are per person and include a nonrefundable administrative fee of $75. See Registration for details.
The registration fee is the same regardless of residence.
Meetings and format
The course is delivered via Zoom videoconference with live instruction. To attend via Zoom, you need a computer with webcam, microphone and high-speed internet.
Each Zoom session allows for live interactions with the instructor and other students via chat, web conferencing or phone, all in real time. Assignments and other materials will be available online through a web-based learning management system.
- Ability to download software through work- or school-provided O365 accounts
- Working knowledge of Excel Pivot Tables and VLOOKUP formulas preferred
- Computer with Windows (Power BI only runs on Windows)
- Attend at least 6 of 8 classes
- Completion and presentation of capstone project