Academic Advising is a developmental and collaborative process in which students seek and receive guidance in the development and achievement of meaningful academic and career goals that are consistent with their interests, values and abilities. While the ultimate responsibility rests with the individual student, academic advisors guide students as they think critically, seek out resources, and develop action steps in an atmosphere of mutual respect and learning.
Students, advisors, and the institution's administration all play a role in achieving this vision of academic advising. Responsibilities of each group are described below.
- Assess the fit of their academic goals with their interests, values and abilities and evaluate progress towards these goals.
- Actively take part in the advising process through their participation in advising meetings and follow-up activities.
- Use tools available to develop and take action towards educational goals.
- Access appropriate campus services and resources to promote academic success.
- Provide personal, meaningful connection and respectful interaction with students.
- Facilitate students problem-solving, decision making, and evaluation skills.
- Assist students with clarifying their educational and career goals.
- Evaluate and monitor student academic progress and its impact on achievement of goals, advising on the selection of appropriate courses and other educational experiences.
- Facilitate an appropriate balance between efficient degree and/or program completion and the development of academic interest and intellectual development.
- Provide accurate and timely referrals to other campus and community resources.
- Creates a structure that facilitates the achievement of the campus advising vision.
- Maintains and promotes a developmental advising model which is easily navigable by students and advisors.
- Supports the creation of tools that contribute to students' ability to be responsible for their own decisions about educational plans.
- Facilitates professional development, training, and support for advisors.
- Assesses the effectiveness of advising with the goal of continuous improvement.