Alternative commute options


WSU Vancouver offers bicycle racks, clothes lockers and shower facilities. Covered bicycle racks are available for use outside the Library building and Firstenburg Student Commons.


Carpool/vanpool permits

WSU Vancouver offers carpool permits that allow you to park in reserved spaces. When you register your carpool or vanpool of two or more people with Parking Services, your parking permit will be marked with an indicator allowing you to use Carpool Reserved spaces. You will also receive Orange daily permits—three for Semester carpools, six for Annual carpools—to use in case you drive alone.

WSU Vancouver employees who are members of a registered carpool or vanpool are eligible for an Emergency Ride Home voucher in case of an emergency.

Contact Parking Services for more information and for the current locations of the Carpool Reserved spaces. To find a carpool or vanpool in your area, visit Clark County Commute.

Pre-tax commuter benefit

WSU is partnering with WageWorks® to provide a pre-tax benefit account used to pay for public transit and parking expenses—including train, subway, bus, ferry, eligible vanpool—and qualified parking as part of your daily commute to work. WSU recognizes that our employees live and work all over the state and country. For those employees who live in the U.S. and currently have to pay for their commuting costs, you will have the option to do so on a pre-tax basis through the WageWorks Commuter program.

Read the signup details regarding pre-tax commuter accounts.

Public transportation

C-TRAN’s #19 Salmon Creek bus route offers service to the WSU Vancouver campus. Visit C-TRAN for the most up-to-date bus schedule.

Lower Columbia CAP offers Rural Transportation service between Longview and Vancouver Monday through Friday, six times a day. Visit its website for program eligibility and schedules.

TriMet provides public transportation in the Portland, Ore. area.

C-TRAN—Education Opportunity Pass and The Current

WSU Vancouver students can ride C-TRAN for free in Clark County with an Education Opportunity Pass.

  • Available to students, staff and faculty
  • Provides free, unlimited local travel for students within Clark County only, and discounted fare for staff and faculty.
  • Does not provide access to Regional or Express bus service.
  • Not valid on any TriMet service.
  • Valid school issued ID or personalized (photo) Hop card required.

The Current, C-TRAN’s on-demand rideshare service that provides point-to-point service, is free with a university-provided Hop card. To request a pass, contact the Cougar Center at 360-546-9779 or email

Faculty and staff are not eligible for a free pass but may purchase a bus pass for the discount rate of $124 per semester. Visit the Cougar Center or email for more information.