Many computers have not been turned on for several months. Here is what to expect if you have not been using your computer on campus:
- Plan time for updates to run. There are several updates that have happened in the last 16 months. Some of these updates will be required before your computer is ready to be used and could take several hours. The updates include:
- Windows – should run automatically.
- Mac OS – will likely remind you to install, should do this as soon as possible.
- Adobe products
- Microsoft Office
- Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
This may require multiple reboots to get all updates installed.
- Zoom – if you have not been using Zoom on your computer it will likely need an update before you can use it. Don’t wait until you are trying to connect to a meeting to do this.<
- Open Zoom
- lick on your profile picture in the upper right corner
- Choose “check for updates”
- If there are some it will install them
- Reinstall printers – all networked printers were changed over the last year to new IP addresses. You will need to uninstall and reinstall printers.
- PC users go to http://printers.vancouver.wsu.edu/ to install networked printers. This page has specific instructions for each printer that uses a copy code and it will also allow you to uninstall if it was used to install your current printer. You can find instructions here for uninstalling manually: https://confluence.esg.wsu.edu/display/KB/Printing%3A+Installing+a+printer+on+a+Windows+computer. Instructions are here for using the above page to install: https://confluence.esg.wsu.edu/display/KB/Printing%3A+Remove+Printer+on+Windows
- Mac users instructions are here for uninstalling and installing: https://confluence.esg.wsu.edu/display/KB/Printing%3A+How+to+Install+and+Uninstall+a+printer+on+a+Mac
- Call or get on Zoom with the HelpDesk, if:
- “Windows activation” error appears
- Office license is expired
- “BIOS” error, or blue screen appears a second time after rebooting
- You need help with the above instructions or anything else. Contact info can be found here https://www.vancouver.wsu.edu/information-technology