With the shift to remote instruction, software that is necessary for several courses is currently unavailable for use in campus computer labs. To help with this, WSU Vancouver students and employees can access much of this software through a virtual desktop environment using AWS AppStream.
Log in to an AppStream session using your network ID and password. It takes a minute or so to spawn the session but after that, you should find that performance is good regardless of your computers specs and age (within reason).
Though a few applications are listed in the launch screen, you can just choose Desktop and will find many others available in the start menu and taskbar, such as...
- Browsers: Google Chrome and Firefox
- Microsoft Office apps (you'll need to log in on first launch): Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word
- Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and SQL Server Management Studio
- If you log in and then log out, only the files in your Home Folder will remain from the previous session
- To move a file from your computer to the remote session, click the folder icon in the top left of the browser window, click into Temporary Files, then choose Upload Files
- To move a file from the remote session to your computer, save the file to the Temporary Files folder, then click the folder icon in the top left of the browser window, click into Temporary Files, then click on the file name and it'll ask if you want to download it
We'll add additional information if appropriate. We'd love to hear your feedback and welcome suggestions - please submit an EVITA ticket via email or the EVITA website (login required) to tell us about it!