The George Floyd Memorial Center has designated May 25 as the Day of Enlightenment “for our community, the nation, and the world” to turn pain into purpose, hate into hope, and tragedy into triumph in honor of the life and memory of George Floyd.
Today and every day, take a breath for George Floyd and all fellow human beings whose last breaths and lives were taken by state and other targeted forms of violence. Take a breath for equity, justice and accountability. Take a breath for empowerment, healing and humanity. Take a breath for love. We have so much more to do. Honor the power of breath. Appreciate the ripeness of this moment to activate your advocacy for systemic change.
WSU Vancouver is dedicated to building a community of cultural responsiveness, equity-mindedness, and inclusive excellence where students, staff, faculty, and community partners feel a sense of welcome, belonging and opportunity to thrive. This is reinforced by the strategic priority to promote an ethical and socially just society through an intentional commitment to infuse equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging throughout the campus fabric to impact policy, process, practice and people.
As you hold space in remembrance of George Floyd and fellow human beings, on this Day of Enlightenment and beyond:
- Know your mindset towards cultural differences and engage efforts to build a community of equity, inclusion and belonging through the BaCE Program.
- Use tools and resources from the Equity and Justice Resources page to explore and expand your equity lens as an advocate.
- Join a WSU Vancouver council or committee leading efforts for equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Submit words of empowerment and justice to the Virtual Gallery of Affirmations.
- Champion initiatives of the Center for Intercultural Learning and Affirmation (CILA).
- Connect with efforts of the Cougar Food Pantry.
Additional resources and events recognizing George Floyd and Day of Enlightenment