Smoking and tobacco use policy
XXX.XXX SMOKING AND TOBACCO USE
Pursuant to RCW 28B.30.150(1), the Washington State University Board of Regents is granted authority to establish rules and regulations for tobacco use on property owned, operated and/or maintained by the university.
XXX.XXX SMOKING AND TOBACCO PRODUCTS
Washington State University Vancouver acknowledges the findings of the Surgeon General that tobacco use in any form, active and passive, is a significant health hazard. The university further recognizes that environmental tobacco smoke has been classified as a Class-A carcinogen. In light of these health risks, and in support of a safe and healthy learning/working environment, the following restrictions shall be placed:
- Smoking or other tobacco usage is not permitted within the perimeter of WSU Vancouver property. Smoking materials must be extinguished and disposed of prior to entering WSU Vancouver property or exiting your vehicle. Improper disposal, including: spitting smokeless tobacco or discarding cigarette butts on the ground or out of a vehicle is not permitted.
- The WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy applies to all students, faculty and staff or other persons using university facilities.
- The WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy is not intended to impede on institutional review board research projects. IRB-approved research projects are exempt from this policy.
- Definitions: For the purposes of this policy, the following words and phrases shall mean:
- Tobacco Products: Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookah, all forms of smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes, clove cigarettes and other alternative products made primarily with tobacco.
- Premises: All buildings, grounds, state-owned vehicles and equipment (motor pool, maintenance) including, but not limited to, parking lots, bus stops, county-owned and WSU-maintained streets or sidewalks, recreational fields and all open common areas within the WSU Vancouver campus.
- The sale and/or free distribution of tobacco products or tobacco-related merchandise is prohibited on university property.
- Sponsorship of campus events by tobacco-promoting organizations is prohibited.
- Advertisement of tobacco products at university events is prohibited regardless of sponsorship.
- Tobacco use on university property or improper disposal of smoking materials may result in disciplinary action. Employees may be subject to corrective or disciplinary action and students may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct. Other violators may be trespassed from the WSU Vancouver campus and subject to other sanctions available to enforce this policy.
- Signage: Signs declaring WSU Vancouver “tobacco-free” shall be posted at the campus entries and other conspicuous places.
SMOKING AND TOBACCO USE - COMMUNICATION AND COMPLIANCE
The enforcement of the smoking- and tobacco-use rules and regulations is the responsibility of Public Safety personnel with the assistance of all members of the WSU Vancouver community. Members of the WSU Vancouver community may notify Public Safety of repeat offenders and/or of disruptive behavior.
The following persons and departments are responsible for ensuring that the WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy is communicated to employees, students, visitors and others in the WSU Vancouver community:
- Human Resources regarding employees
- Student Affairs regarding students
- Department leads regarding contractors and other visitors
- Communications and Scheduling Office for events with external visitors
- Facilities Use for outside contractors and vendors working on campus
- Public Safety regarding campus visitors
- Chancellor’s Office regarding partner institutions
Each of the above responsible persons and departments may establish procedures and protocols, consistent with each other and the WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy, designed to eliminate tobacco use from campus, increase compliance and to assist tobacco users in availing themselves of tobacco-dependency treatment options.
Any person who repeatedly violates the WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy may be asked to leave the premises and/or may be removed and subject to Trespass Admonition. Employees may be subject to corrective or disciplinary action and students may be subject to student conduct action. Public Safety officers are authorized to control, and regulate facilities use as prescribed by this policy.
Any person interfering with a university public safety officer in the discharge of the WSU Vancouver smoking and tobacco use policy may be in violation of WSU Vancouver policy and state law (RCW).